The MoHFW has mandated population based cancer screening in the country for three preventable cancers – oral, breast and, cervical, under the National NCD Control Program. Once implemented, cancer services will be available in all health facilities across all the States and Union Territories of India. The exercise will be carried out by existing health care professionals. Thus, it is imperative that all health care providers are well versed with the national guidelines and screening modalities of cancer screening in the nation.
As per the Operational Framework for the Management of Common Cancers, screening of oral, breast and cervical cancers will be done at PHCs/ SHCs by staff nurses & ANMs, which will be confirmed by the medical officers at the PHCs, and the screen positives will then be referred to higher facilities (CHCs/DHs) in the vicinity for further management and treatment. Thus, it is absolutely essential that all nursing professionals have thorough knowledge about screening, the guidelines for screening, the screening modalities and the procedures and techniques used for the same, as per the Operational Framework.
Aim: To train nurses working at different levels of the Indian healthcare system, in population-based cancer screening of the three most common cancers in India, as per the recommendations of the MoHFW.
Teaching method: 10 weeks’ virtual training through Zoom app followed by 3 days’ hands-on training at NICPR, Noida.
1. To train nurses in cervical cancer screening techniques (PAP & VIA) & treatment of precancerous cervical lesions using ablative methods.
2. To train nurses in breast cancer screening mainly through clinical breast examination.
3. To train nurses in oral cancer screening through oral visual examination & brief advice for tobacco cessation.
4. To educate nurses on other important aspects of infection control & documentation of screening results.
1. Knowledge & skill gain regarding cervical cancer screening techniques (PAP & VIA) & treatment of precancerous cervical lesions.
2. Knowledge & skill gain to conduct breast cancer screening through clinical breast examination.
3. Knowledge & skill gain to conduct oral cancer screening through oral visual examination & provide brief advice for tobacco cessation.
4. Knowledge & skill gain on proper infection control methods to be followed in their respective healthcare facilities & documentation of screening results.